For those of you still finding your way around WordPress, like me, check out something quite fun.
If you click on ‘My Blogs’, then select the blog you want to find out about (if you write more than one). Scroll across to ‘Stats’. Not only does this page show you lots of cool info, including your total Page Views ever (not including your own views of your blog), and your Best Day ever, in terms of page views, but there is also a rather cool section called ‘Search Engine Terms’.
Click on ‘This Week‘ which is in blue on the right hand side of the ‘Search Engine Terms’ header, midway down the Stats Page.
Then, when the page changes to a page devoted to Search Engine Terms, click on the ‘All Time’ option – also in underlined blue.
I realise that all sounds a bit complicated, but hopefully what it’s brought up for you, is a rather cool list of all the terms people have entered into Search Engines, to then get to your site. You’ll probably be rather amused by some of the more random ones –
For example, on my list of searches which led to The Elementary Circle , there are some common ones I might expect to end up at the site – ‘navigator of dreams’, ‘cosmopolitan ultimate woman of the year 2007’, ‘cc lester’, ‘charly lester blog’, and ‘dream navigator’, ‘the elementary circle word press‘ are all things several people have tried to Google.
However, here are some entries I wouldn’t necessarily expect to lead people to my blog!
(NB – All searches are as typed originally and word for word)
- superman name
- woman to ski
- loner writer (NICE!)
- penis (that one hit my site twice …. pretty sure this is the first time I’ve ever mentioned that particular word on the blog!)
- ‘i crossing my fingers you get a chance to’ …. (hoping this one means I get some luck!)
- mercury childs wagon (???? what is this? some kind of pushchair/stroller??? – for anyone reading who doesn’t know, the book I’m currently writing is called Mercury’s Child)
- similarly – mercury wagon child’s (what is this all about??)
- unspoken words of need of closure (does this make sense to anyone?)
- sex.girls.xxx.falling i if m singleton (seriously HOW did this bring up my blog???!!)
- work for free otherwise known as (Haha! kind of sums up my life at the mo!)
- how do i an 2 above a m (can anyone translate this??)
- am sikis (DITTO)
- fat back women maken usen ditto rate xxx (SIC …. what is with these searches. Are they literally just entering random words?)
- some time i an read an i cannot
- weight loss diary (um??? wrong blog me thinks!)
- +post something anonymously on facebook
- would sending letters of recommendations help i an immigration case
- dream interpretation; cant hear me warning her (this one scares me a bit – sounds rather nightmarish!)
- http://www.thewriter’slife.com/earnaliving (haven’t personally worked that one out myself yet!)
- literary grandmother names
- my 18 tens
- cool names for shields
- female christian writers blogs – sorry, defo got the wrong blog here
- woman 40+ glam shots (I REALLY hope this didnt bring up my front page pic! I was 24 in that picture for frack’s sake!!!!)
- do not reply email address (why is someone even searching this in the first place?)
- how to write someone elses thoughts (pretty sure that’s a major part of fiction, and not necessarily something you’ll find cliff notes on!)
- what english writer used the pen name ella? (was someone at a pub quiz by any chance?!)
- bored written loads of times in different writing (not too impressed this brings up my blog, if I’m honest!)
- heels muddy or mud (um WTF?!)
- swearing screaming sex (coz obviously my blog is full of it! Though possibly slightly more accurate than the Christian writer search!)
- ЩИТ И МЕЧ ПЕРО И БУМАГА – Which Babblefish handily tells me means ‘Sword and Shield, Pen and Paper’ in Russian!
- Flicker Lester (I like!)
- Felicity Firestone (um AWESOME!!!!! who Googled her?! Now I want to Google her and see what comes up!)
- Ellody Rose (is someone Google-stalking my heroines?!)
- my life in ten years (not sure what that person was looking for, probably not my novel ‘My Ten Future Lives’ but I guess you never know, it might have helped him or her!)
- glorified slavery (this blatantly came up because it’s the phrase I use to describe unpaid work experience!)
- i’m the author of my life (um, BOSH!)
- facebook.com/cclester (eek, someone’s trying to stalk me!)
- lucy lester flicker (this one made me grin – like a combo of me and my agent all in one – i guess that sums up a year of my life!)
- elliwrites boyfriend – Liz of Elli Writes – SOMEONE FANCIES YOU!!!
Plus, it’s quite cool being able to tell my lovely agent Lucy Dundas, at PFD (and a couple of other friends who have commented on my blog!!) , just how many times her name has been googled in the past few months 😉